Bare Die Bonded to PCB
It is the simplest method to evaluate the MMICs as well as sample productions for small quantities. Chip is glued directly on the printed circuit board (PCB) with or without using a cavity. Then, gold or aluminium wire bonds are used to make the electrical connections from pads of the chip to the lines on the PCB. Optionally, a glop-top procedure can be applied to protect the chip and the wire bonds from damage.
- Can be custom to each MMIC allowing a very short bond wires for RF pads
- Wafer probe testing of MMIC is possible
- Full chip functionality cannot be tested, since the MMIC is not in a package that is suitable for an industrial socket
- MMIC is not replaceable on the PCB
- Not suitable for series production